Sunday, March 10, 2013

SXSWedu 2013 Reflections #1 - How I Made This Year Better

This year was my second SXSWedu conference and overall it was a MUCH more positive experience than last year - primarily because I decided I was going to make it so.  And the making of it so was due to the people I met (which is a universal theme for great conference experiences).  I avoided vendors (except for drink coupons) and hung out with teachers at the meetups.  I stepped out of my comfort zone and met up with some “snarky teachers” for lunch. I went mad with Twitter.  It was fun.  But I believe educators can step up and make it better next year (and yes I’ll share my opinions on how that can happen).


What was better this year?

Better balance between vendors and educators (IMO)

This year I found the balance between vendors (“entrepreneurs”) and educators to be better than last year (though session bombing was still common). While the notable Audrey Watters disagrees with me on that, I will admit that I did make a conscious effort to avoid sessions presented by either a single vendor or a panel dominated with multiple vendors (with one MOOC exception), so maybe my results are a bit skewed. And while I wanted to see some of the “Big Data” sessions, I decided that connecting with individuals was more important (and that I could catch them via podcast later).


More choices than last year

There were definitely more options this year since the conference practically doubled in size with approximately 5,000 attendees, (as it did last year), which was great.  Almost to a fault. With only a 30 min break between sessions and sessions scheduled through the day (even during lunch), those of us who felt compelled to “get our money’s worth” were relegated to either starving or eating at the wallet-whomping food courts around the convention center and Hilton.  Still, I will gladly accept these “growing pains” as long as they bring more options for educators to collaborate during sessions.


Better wifi

Maybe it was just me, maybe it was my new MacBook Air, or maybe it really did change from last year, but I had zero issues with the “SXSW 5Ghz” wifi network present this year.  As an IT director I can appreciate the challenge of having to supply free Internet for 5,000+ people packed into a couple of city blocks.  Last year I had to swap back and forth between wifi and my mobile hotspot (neither of which worked all of the time).  This year it was much easier to stay connected and contribute online during sessions.


What can be improved for next year?

Educators Unite!

While some may be ready to let the conference go to the vendors, I would encourage every educator who came this year to bring two friends next year and “flip” the balance in the educators’ favor. There is still a great opportunity to take hold of this conference a the premier place for educators to meet and swap ideas.  I’ve met some amazing people this year (shout outs to @ssandifer @scitechyEDU @LindseyOwn @ms_cerda @s0delightful @Ms_cerda @drawsalot @thelock85).  You can too with a little planning, a lot of Twittering, and not being scared to step outside your comfort zone if you’re not someone who normally does that sort of thing.  


Keep the Tension - But Plan it Better

I will agree that some amount of “tension” between vendors and educators is a good thing, but it must be regulated better.  “Session bombing” is still too common.  Perhaps educators need to create a hashtag for posting/blacklisting vendors who enlist this tactic at next year’s conference (or if there is such a thing, I need to know what it is). Along this same line, I would encourage educators to avoid any sessions led by a single vendor (it WILL be a sales pitch), and the planning committee to avoid selecting panels made only of vendor representatives.  A product or concept may benefit from vendor participation, but it should always be backed by educators who can share their experiences unless the session is designed to be of interest only to other entrepreneurs (which I can see there is a need for that).


Ban Buzzwords

One of the better sessions I sat in on was one where the moderator took it upon himself to solicit from the audience three buzzwords the panel was not allowed to use. While he was readily given 10-15 options, it was at least good acknowledgement that too often buzzwords pollute dialog within sessions and lead to less participation and understanding.  I know that “big data” and “personalized learning” are hot topics, but those who speak completely in buzzwords frequently have little to say.  


More Food Options

OK, this may be just a personal observation (primarily because of the healthy eating kick I started last Thanksgiving that has led to me shedding some 30 pounds), but there is very little opportunity to maintain a healthy diet while not skipping great sessions.  Some of my best sessions this year were during the lunch hour.  Call in some food trucks, have more food vendors set up tables in the lobbies, or use the catering services of the convention center (which have been excellent in other conferences I have attended) - but do something to help ward off SXSWedu starvation.


My Country For a Hashtag

Encourage session leaders to have a hashtag for each session, and to actively use it during the session.  Twitter (and other online resources) are still too underused for my tastes.  For a conference that is supposed to be about “disrupting education” (yes I know that’s “pot to kettle” on buzzword usage) and demonstrating new ideas, it is still much too traditional in its implementation.


Keeping the Ball Rolling

Last year I had every intent of not letting the energy I picked up from SXSWedu 2012 die quickly after the conference... But just like every plant I’ve owned, exactly that happened. So this year I approach my post-SXSWedu buzz with a more seasoned resolve and a new plan (blogging).  While I completely expect these thoughts to go largely unread, at least the act will sharpen my writing skills for when I return to the classroom as a student for an MBA program either in the summer or fall.


Up Next...

For my next post I’m working on my top-five “takeaways” from this year’s conference.  I’ll start with a summary to introduce them, and then break each one of them down in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there was a somewhat better balance this year at the conference compared to the last two years. I do think the issue is getting the balance right in the presentation sessions also--being sure there's not an "agenda"(i.e. big data) that predominates.